15 May 2016

15th May 2016 – Pentecost Sunday

On this week’s programme John is joined by Martina O’Sullivan and Michael Keating to reflect on the Solemnity of Pentecost.  The Holy Spirit is perhaps the more difficult of the Persons of the Trinity to speak about. We can have some sense of what it means to have a Loving Father and Jesus came to us as God-made-man, but the Holy Spirit is more difficult for us to understand so Scripture gives us images: fire, water, breath etc. and tells us the Holy Spirit will be our Helper, Paraclete etc. The team reflect on the revelation of the Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments and talk about the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. They also share their experience of Life in the Spirit seminars. 

You can listen to the podcast of this week's programme HERE and the reflection on the Holy Spirit is excerpted HERE.



Gospel - John 14:15-16, 23-26 - Pentecost Sunday





Jesus said to his disciples: “If you love me you will keep my commandments. 
I shall ask the Father, and he will give  you another Advocate to be with you for ever. 
If anyone loves me he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make our home with him. 
Those who do not love me do not keep my words. 
And my word is not my own; it is the word of the one who sent me. 
I have said these things to you while still with you; 
but the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, 
will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you.” 

Reflections on this week's gospel:

Word on Fire
English Dominicans
Centre for Liturgy
Sunday Reflections



Liturgical odds & ends

Liturgy of the Hours - psalter week 3; week 7 in Ordinary Time

Saints of the Week
May 16th - St. Brendan, Abbot
May 17th - St. Paschal Baylon
May 19th - St. Celestine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.