16 Feb 2012

Take a minute.......

With h/t to Blue Eyed Ennis:


Here are the modern Irish lyrics and a translation by Professor Gerard Murphy of this well-loved hymn:

Deus meus adiuva me
Tabhair dom do shearch,a Mhic ghil Dé
Tabhair dom do shearch,a Mhic ghil Dé
Deus meus adiuva me.

Domine da quod peto a te,
Tabhair dom go dian a ghrian ghlan ghlé,
Tabhair dom go dian a ghrian ghlan ghlé,
Domine da quod peto a te.

Domine, Domine, exaudi me,
M’anam bheith lán de d’ghrá, a Dhé,
M’anam bheith lán de d’ghrá, a Dhé,
Domine, Domine exaudi me
.


My God, help me. Give me love of thee, O Son of God.
Give me love of thee, O son of God. My God, help me.
Into my heart that it may be whole, O glorious King, swiftly bring love of thee.
Glorious King, swiftly bring love of thee into my heart that it may be whole.


Lord, give what I ask of thee – give, give speedily, O bright and gleaming sun - give, give speedily, O bright and gleaming sun - Lord, give what I ask of thee.
This thing which I hope and seek, love of thee in this world, love of thee in that, love of thee in this world, love of thee in that, this thing which I hope and seek.


Love of thee, as thou wishest, give me in thy might (I will say it again).
Give me in thy might (I will say it again) love of thee, as thou wishest.
I seek, I beg, I ask of thee that I be in Heaven, dear Son of God.
That I be in Heaven, dear Son of God, I seek, I beg, I ask of thee.


My Lord, hear me.
May my soul, O God, be full of love for thee.
May my soul, O God, be full of love for thee.
My God, help me.

Source: Gerard Murphy, Early Irish Lyrics: Eighth to Twelfth Centuries, (repr. Dublin 1998), 52-59

4 comments:

  1. I would appreciate if you would acknowledge my blog posting

    http://brigid-undertheoak.blogspot.com/2009/01/mael-isu-ua-brolchain-deus-meus-adiuva.html

    as the source of the text in that format.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigit
    While we have absolutely no problem giving credit where it is due, in this case the source for the translation was the blog Blue Eyed Ennis which is acknowledged at the top of the post.The formatting of the text was purely coincidental during the posting of this blog post last night. As you may be aware, SS102 has a policy of always aknowledging online sources of information including previous posts from your own excellent blog.

    Regards
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shane, Blue Eyed Ennis has actually copied my posting without acknowledgment. What I meant by that format was that introductory sentence was written by me and I typed out the translation from Prof Murphy's book. This is my work and I was surprised to see it here without a link, thank you for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have e mailed you Brigit to apologise for not acknowledging the source for the English translation to the hymn and have now added a link to your site from my blog.
      I hope this is OK now. I would just like to add that the Gaelic lyrics are freely available on several sites and the video text to accompany the hymn was from Fionnula's own You Tube source.
      Blessings

      Delete